Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Riding a tiger

When I was doing this years ago, there was always a point where I couldn't work a painting any further without it seizing up, becoming mannered or just tickled (and it showed). With this painting, I was able to keep it suspended longer, make critical changes and course corrections along the way...persist.


















Painting #6 of 6       (30" x 31 1/4")


Details:


















View preliminary states of the final painting below the break.

State #1
















State #2
















State #3

















State #4
















State #5   
















State #6
















State #7

















State #8
















 State #9

















State #10 (final) Painting #6 of 6 (30" x 31 1/4")

















This one is giving me trouble. I am able to undo "bad work" without losing the painting entirely. The edits and revisions give it a weight and sense of time that I visually like; process. But, I think I am at a crossroads. It is the "what do I really want to do?" painting. Do I answer the question now or work it out over subsequent paintings?

"Riding the tiger," as an approach to painting was encouraged by my instructors long ago; all of them disciplined and talented artists. The finished painting was to be a by-product of the struggle. So, the struggle continues.

No comments:


Web Counter